Mike Hayton treats boxing champion
Consultant Hand Surgeon and founding member of OrthTeam, Mike Hayton, has successfully treated boxing champion Tony 'Bomber' Bellew.
As well as his career as a professional boxer, Tony recently showcased his legendary boxing abilities starring alongside Sylvester Stallone in 'Creed', the latest film in the Rocky Balboa franchise, playing boxer 'Pretty' Ricky Conlan.
As a professional boxer, Tony has had his share of injuries “At one point I had a very serious hand injury and I was basically no longer able to throw a punch. Thankfully Mike saved my hand and if anything it's now stronger than it was before.”
Mike offered advice for anyone looking at getting into boxing Mike and suggests a number of measures you can take to avoid injury:
- Wrap your hands well - ask a trainer to show you how to do it properly, or alternatively buy ‘pre-formed’ wraps.
- Consider gel padded gloves, but ensure they’re not going to slip as this can cause skin abrasion.
- Warm up before impact. Don’t punch straight away, it’s important to get your blood pumping first.
- Gradually build up your impact force over several months.
- Whilst boxing can be a great stress reliever, don’t take your anger out on the bags. Stay calm and in control at all times.
- Avoid hitting hard bags with too much force, but use pads and speed balls instead.
- Stop if your hands or wrists start to hurt, and seek medical advice if they continue to cause problems.